Instrumented Interconnecteds Intelligent

Education is not a preparation for life; education is life itself.
– John Dewey

In my latest op-ed in U.S. News & World Report, I write that only since the end of the Second World War has high school attendance been mandatory. Back in 1945, we understood that while college could be important, finishing high school wasn’t optional – it was essential. But in 2012, the stakes and requirements are much higher. To gain access to 21st Century careers, workers must be significantly better educated than in generations past. And to prepare our children to participate in the global economy, our schools must do a better job of connecting education to employment.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has just announced his city’s intention to do just that. Following the Roadmap for Career and Technical Education developed in collaboration with an IBM Smarter Cities Challenge team — and working out of IBM’s playbook, the STEM Pathways to College and Careers School Guide — Chicago plans to open five grades 9 through 14 schools this fall. Each school will be a public-private partnership among the Chicago Public Schools, the City Colleges of Chicago, and a corporate sponsor. Their mission: to connect education to jobs.

Read my full article in U.S. News & World Report. Then follow the links below to read a variety of perspectives on how civic leaders, educators, parents, students and private industry are working together to improve American public education.

Related Resources:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel: Building a Smarter Chicago

U.S. News & World Report: Grades 9 Through 14 School Model Strengthens Education-to-Work System

Building the Pipeline to Tomorrow’s Jobs: Smarter Cities Challenge, Chicago

Smarter Cities Challenge, Chicago: Contributing Expertise to Build Sustainable Value

P-TECH: The First 100 Days

Student Perspective: How P-TECH Inspired New Hope After Just One Semester

Student Perspective: Switching to a Grades 9-14 School

Download the “STEM Pathways to College and Careers Schools: A Development Guide” playbook

Download the Grades 9-14 Chicago and IBM School Partnership fact sheet

City Forward: Job Outlook in Chicago

City Forward: Chicago Jobs by Industry & Education Level

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

Previous post

Next post

September 30, 2012
11:40 AM

Posted by: yxjyg
March 17, 2013
9:12 AM

I discovered this on Friday and i told my brother about this. Do you happen to have more tips on this?

Posted by: test website
July 21, 2013
3:18 AM

the painting and sculture bring together a mecanical or eletric science.the mothern art museum in sao paulo brazil can show in a wall the pass years of 2000.An ink that conserve 500 years a painting is the objective.The proto cubism alied with a optical art,you can help me can we do this little exposition?

Posted by: mauricio eugenio latge prado
September 6, 2014
1:24 PM

I’d also like to state that most of those who find themselves
with no health insurance arre generally students, self-employed and people
who are jobless. More than half of those uninsured are
under the age of Thirty-five. They ddo not think
they are in need of health insurance since they’re young along with healthy.
Its income is normally spent on housing, food, along with entertainment.
Many people thaat do work either complete or as a hobby are not given insurance via their jobs so
they go without as a result of rising valuation on hewalth insurance in america.
Thanks for the strategies you talk about through this website.

Posted by: play Minecraft online
October 12, 2014
12:25 AM

Today, entire college programs are done onlihe and stueents aare now able
to earn degrees with minimal class room time. This kind of certification is
beneficial for nurses and doctors working in pediatrics and paramedics health care
sectors. Every training requirement and demand gets
accomplished in just few hours beginning from 8 hour to
30 hour course duration.

Posted by: learn
December 12, 2014
11:13 AM

Hey I am so excited I found your blog page, I really
found you by mistake, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here
now and would just like to say kudos for a marvelous post and
a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look
over it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and
also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb b.

Posted by: oneida flatware satin aquarius
April 1, 2015
2:39 AM

Today, entire college programs are done online and students are
now able to earn degrees with minimal class room time.
Many peolple bear the impression that BLS is as good as medical treatment provided by the halth care experts.
Some people will prefer to teach CPR to the general public.

Posted by: excellent article
May 30, 2015
1:53 AM

the assembler of integrate circuits and tablets miniaturization have the same letter in TTL manual and tablets the assembly of tablets too.
the 40 years tatuage cicatrization of 400 years and 2000 years cicatrization in space.The sleep of 15hs to 23hs.The draftsman ,the wire wrap pistol and the art.the bauhaus architecture.

Posted by: MEL Prado
May 30, 2015
3:23 AM

voce bem que podia fazer um curso de máquina prometido.
já fiz curso do novadata SISCO
ja fiz curso da dx 73/76 de microfilmagem da datagrafix.

Posted by: MEL Prado
1 Trackback
March 12, 2012
9:02 AM

[...] Grades 9 Through 14 School Model Strengthens Education-to-Work System [...]

Posted by: Building on What Works | Citizen IBM Blog