Instrumented Interconnecteds Intelligent
January, 25th 2013

Now in its second year, New York’s Pathways in Technology Early College High School
recently hosted a Mentor Day to better connect the school’s ninth and 10th graders with the IBM volunteers who are helping them navigate their academic and workplace learning programs. Each student, faculty and staff member at P-TECH is
paired with an IBM mentor as part of the partnership that is preparing P-TECH graduates
for college and career success – building in-demand skills for future needs in the areas
of Big Data, Cloud Computing, Mobile Computing and Social Business. Below, IBMer
Karen R.Thompson writes about why she mentors at P-TECH.

As a child growing up in Alabama, there was nothing off limits to me. I had major support from my parents, school and church. I grew up with an excellent view of the world and of the goals I wanted to accomplish. Now that I have migrated north, I have noticed that many children in the inner city don’t have the same opportunities or support that I had to help me succeed. I became a mentor at P-TECH to do my part to bridge that gap.

P-TECH Mentor Karen R. Thompson with her Protege Oliver

As a P-TECH mentor, I have the privilege of imparting knowledge and pledging my support to help one young person reach his educational and life goals. I want my protégé Oliver to know that nothing in life is impossible – that education creates access, which opens doors to his heart’s desires. The education Oliver is receiving at P-TECH is giving him a head start on college courses in the 10th grade. How awesome is that!

During our Mentor Day this month, I got the chance to sit down and talk with Oliver about his aspirations while we completed our mentor/student activity, which was to create a flag that reflected our shared joys and values. Oliver is not a typical 10th grader. He is quiet and reserved, but wants to use his technology education to make an impact on the world one day. The flag we created depicted four of our shared interests:

• Technology, represented by computers and other peripherals,
  • Our desire to travel the world, represented by the globe,
  • Our love for the State of Arizona, represented by the cardinal, and
  • Our families and our faith in God, represented by human figures and the cross.

Oliver did all the art work. He’s extremely talented, and I don’t mind saying that our flag was best in the class!

The flag activity gave me a chance to share some insights into high school and college with Oliver. The advice I gave him was to:

• Broaden his horizons by engaging in extracircular activities that will expose him to different cultures, languages and opportunities,
  • Stay focused through 11th grade, since his grades through that period will determine his class rank and potential for college scholarships,
  • Surround himself with positive people who are walking in the same direction as he – toward college, and lastly
  • Remember to have fun while staying focused on his job of getting an education.

Being a mentor is a HUGE honor that I don’t take lightly. As IBMers, we have been blessed to work for a company that cares about the future of our children. Become a mentor; look for opportunities to give your support to a student who can benefit from the depth and breadth you have gained during your career. You never know. That young person might aspire to goals they would never have thought of if you hadn’t helped them bridge the gap between where they are and where their dreams (and hard work) can take them.

Karen R. Thompson is a Project Manager with IBM Global Services’ Client Management and Resource Optimization team.

Related Resources:

P-TECH Mentor Shilpa Menezes: The Joy of Mentoring

P-TECH Student Kiambu Gall: What It Means to Have a Mentor

P-TECH Principal Rashid F. Davis: Where We Are Now

Technorati Tags: , ,

Bookmark and Share

Previous post

Next post

January 25, 2013
3:51 PM

Great job, Karen! Hats off! There is a lot to learn from your voluntary spirit!

Posted by: Bhaskar Anant
January 25, 2013
3:58 PM

Thank you Bhaskar! I appreciate it!

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
January 29, 2013
4:36 PM

You’re amazing Karen and what a blessing you are to Oliver!

Posted by: Jocelyn Anderson
January 30, 2013
9:36 AM

Thank you Jocelyn! It’s an honor…

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
February 14, 2013
2:00 PM

How do you become a P-Tech IBM volunteer?

Posted by: Jarrett Carper
February 28, 2013
5:10 PM

Hi Jarrett! Please send me an email ( and I will put you in touch of the team that works with the IBM volunteers.

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
June 13, 2013
3:41 PM

Hi…Thanks for checking out my blog! Mentoring in its simplest form is nothing more than sharing your knowledge with someone else. That someone else can be a young person or your peer. I hope that helps your understanding of the topic.

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
July 10, 2013
8:34 AM

Mobile computing is the ability to use computing capability without a pre-defined location and/or connection to a network to publish and/or subscribe to information.Many commercial and government field forces deploy a ruggedized portable computer with their fleet of vehicles. This requires the units to be anchored to the vehicle for driver safety, device security, and ergonomics. “*’,

Please do find out about this useful webpage <

Posted by: Rena Recidivi
August 5, 2013
10:00 AM

Simply awesome work. I am proud of you for being a difference kids can actually see. Keep upbthe good work. You are an inspiration for me.

Posted by: Darrell Griffin
August 5, 2013
11:49 AM

Hi Darrell! Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
August 28, 2014
4:06 AM

Everything is very open with a clear explanation of
the challenges. It was definitely informative.
Your site is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: please click the next website
September 13, 2014
10:04 AM

I think this is among the such a lot vital information for me.
And i’m happy studying your article. But should observation on few common issues,
The website style is perfect, the articles is in point of fact nice :
D. Good task, cheers

Posted by: cars export
September 23, 2014
1:57 PM

Thank you for taking the time to visit…I hope you make the decision to mentor a young person.

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
October 10, 2014
3:27 AM

Thanks for finally writing about >Why I’m
a P-TECH Mentor | Citizen IBM Blog <Loved it!

Posted by: Business in a Box
October 14, 2014
6:07 PM

I’m glad you enjoyed the blog post!

Posted by: Karen R. Thompson
March 5, 2015
1:48 PM

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Opera, it looks fine but when opening
in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give
you a quick heads up! Other then that, wonderful blog!

+334 13 41 64 13
Encule olivier herlent

Posted by: encule olivier herlent
August 18, 2015
11:12 AM

And it is possible to what is robustness of a shop by reading
reviews online. If your sweetheart has a adventurous spirit, goo
along with herr using one of hher adventures wether it is skiing, mountaineering, climbing,
kayaking, etc. It ccan be a symbol of soul mates, fidelity,
trust, commitment, honour along with other emotions which you’ll be able to
not express inn words.

Posted by: silver Claddagh rings
September 8, 2015
12:42 PM

Hi Karen,
As a fellow IBMer I cannot be more happy for you and congratulations on your achievement.
I wanted to see if you might know someone from IBM who can sponsor a similar program called Tech Trek held in the University if California campuses (one to which my daughter attended recently). I will send you more details through IBM internal communities….

Posted by: Vijay Venkataramani
September 24, 2015
12:03 PM

Why visitors still use to read news paplers when in this technological world everything is available on net?

Posted by: Christy
5 Trackbacks
February 13, 2013
1:51 PM

[...] P-TECH’s visionary principal and dedicated faculty, the school’s motivated students and the IBM volunteers who mentor P-TECH students, faculty and staff couldn’t be more [...]

Posted by: President Praises P-TECH in State of the Union Address | Citizen IBM Blog
February 13, 2013
3:00 PM

Posted by: P-TECH’s Link to Jobs Lands School in President’s SOU Speech « A Smarter Planet Blog
February 13, 2013
8:11 PM

[...] real possibility of a middle class career at a company like IBM. All students are matched with a mentor from IBM, which along with site visits, opens up the world of the corporation to young people who, with rare [...]

Posted by: State of the Union Shout-out « Education Is…
February 22, 2013
1:46 PM

Posted by: P-TECH’s Link to Jobs Lands School in President’s SOU Address | Everything Natural Blog
February 13, 2014
10:31 AM

[...] Inspired by a visionary principal and aided by dedicated faculty and IBM mentors, P-TECH students excel academically. Their success prompts Mayor Rahm Emanuel to open the Sarah E. [...]

Posted by: “The School That Will Get You a Job” | Citizen IBM Blog