Instrumented Interconnecteds Intelligent

This year, as New York Blood Center (NYBC) launches its 50th Anniversary celebrations, we have an opportunity to reflect on our history of serving local and global public health needs. On the eve of our Golden Jubilee, we are grateful to the many individuals and organizations who helped found NYBC, including IBM, whose $100,000 gift in 1963 helped lay the foundation for our great organization.

Yesterday and Today: New York Blood Center in the 1960s and on its 50th Anniversary

NYBC was established at a time when the area’s blood supply was dangerous and in disarray. The chances of getting a blood-borne infection from a transfusion was alarmingly high, as large portions of the blood supply came from paid donors from high-crime New York City neighborhoods. NYBC’s initial goal was to clean up and consolidate the blood supply, and also create a research institute to advance transfusion medicine and improve blood safety. Fifty years later, we are proud to say that we have accomplished that goal.

In those 50 years, our groundbreaking discoveries have helped make the blood supply safer while also treating and curing some of the world’s most challenging diseases. These discoveries include a vaccination for hepatitis B, the creation of a procedure that inactivates viruses in plasma which drastically reduced the risk of hepatitis and HIV for hemophiliac and other patients, and the use of stem cells from newborn umbilical cords that have been used to treat more than 80 diseases.

In the early 1960s, the chance of getting hepatitis C from a blood transfusion was about one in four. Today those odds are about one in 1 million. When we were founded, diseases such as lymphoma and leukemia were death sentences. Today, we are seeing survival rates of up to 90 percent for children. In the 1980s and 1990s, an estimated 10,000 hemophiliacs contracted HIV from tainted blood. Today, the probability that a hemophiliac will contract HIV from treatment is almost zero. NYBC’s contributions to science and research have positively impacted millions of lives, and our work continues.

We are open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including all holidays) collecting and distributing life-saving blood donations to more than 200 hospitals throughout our region. NYBC also delivers stem cell-rich umbilical cord blood and bone marrow to patients around the world. Our research remains state-of-the-art and focused on advancing transfusion medicine and improving blood safety.

While NYBC is proud of our many achievements, we recognize that our work would have been impossible without our community of supporters. Approximately 25 million blood donations have been made since 1964 – more than 250,000 of them from IBMers – saving countless lives. And the financial contributions from IBM and IBMers have helped us fight some of the world’s deadliest diseases. But we need your continued support. Our patients still need for you to roll up your sleeves. Our researchers need your support to offset cutbacks in federal funding. With your involvement and support, NYBC can continue to make life changing differences in peoples’ lives.

I encourage you to visit our newly designed website to learn more about our NYBC and how you can make a difference.

Christopher D. Hillyer, M.D., is President and CEO of New York Blood Center and a Professor in the Department of Medicine of Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City.

Related Resource:

Read more Citizen IBM blogs on health-related issues

Technorati Tags: , ,

Bookmark and Share

Previous post

Next post

26 Comments

March 6, 2014
12:29 AM

This article will assist the internet viewers for building up new website
or even a blog from start to end.

Posted by: massage tips to increase breast size

July 3, 2014
4:03 AM

I see a lot of interesting posts on your blog.
You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know
how to save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique,
SEO friendly articles in couple of minutes, just type in google – laranita’s
free content source

Posted by: Donovan

September 2, 2014
9:07 PM

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, google
friendly posts in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content

Posted by: Chante

December 2, 2014
8:58 PM

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this
weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specifically the last part :) I deal with such information much.
I was looking for this certain information for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

Posted by: series straight demon

April 5, 2015
3:36 AM

Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you be acquainted with after
that you can write if not it is complex to write.

Posted by: match.Com

May 5, 2015
11:48 AM

If you want to take much from this piece of writing then you have to apply these techniques to your won website.

Posted by: minecraft games

October 26, 2015
10:33 PM

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great job, have a nice weekend!

Posted by: Beste New Balance Vrouwen 574 Pistache Running

January 27, 2016
11:58 PM

Hey there I am so glad I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a incredible post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don韙 have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Posted by: pandora iikle and blue hearts love charms

January 29, 2016
6:15 AM

Broadband internet does not connect in the phone collection either, so
it is feasible to call people using the electronic telephone while surplus on the net.

Posted by: teachersh.scis-his.net

January 30, 2016
9:06 AM

Youu can further refine your title by includfing the street name where your business is located for example.

Posted by: Secret Traffic Goldmine

February 1, 2016
11:48 AM

Could you please clarify so what size location you are trying to cover, I can not respond to if you need to make use of equipment
with a 20km array without knowing the distance between individuals as well as
web connection.

Posted by: wireless internet service providers for laptops

February 5, 2016
5:14 PM

Yes! Finally someone writes about business.

Posted by: izmir mantolama

February 9, 2016
9:22 AM

What i do not realize is in truth how you’re not actually much more
neatly-favored than you might be now. You’re very intelligent.
You understand therefore considerably in relation to this
subject, made me for my part believe it from numerous varied angles.
Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated unless it is
something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your
individual stuffs great. Always deal with it up!

Posted by: website design

February 9, 2016
12:12 PM

You’re watching watch digimon tri online free. You can download watch digimon tri ep 5 english sub torrent as well.

Posted by: digimon tri ep 5 english dub

February 16, 2016
4:46 PM

Alll social networking sites aren’t created equal, ddo your reseearch earlier
than implementing this strategy into your marketing mix.

Posted by: VidGeos Review

February 16, 2016
10:56 PM

Hi friends, how is all, and what you want to say
on the topic of this post, in my view its genuinely amazing in support of me.

Posted by: Jacklyn

February 17, 2016
11:36 AM

I can tell you from encounter, obtaining a Chiropractic practice
launch funding after you have actually financed your method through Chiropractic college is not consistently feasible.

Posted by: Lorene

February 17, 2016
2:25 PM

Nonetheless, make sure you have actually analyzed your business version along with your business plan.

Posted by: steps for starting a business

February 17, 2016
2:46 PM

If you’re opening a company in an area that has actually seen local
companies fold up, you might have the ability to pick up some great ability for much less compensation compared to in an up” market.

Posted by: Jeanette

February 17, 2016
7:04 PM

Second, I obtained my web pages up and running with individuals clicking in. Those are my couple of major turning points for me.

Below is how I select my business design.

Posted by: www.ambientmusicforum.com

February 18, 2016
1:05 AM

Several small businesses in your community could possibly make use of an extremely basic web presence to inform others concerning their company.

Posted by: Deloris

February 19, 2016
6:28 AM

This tab has been further divided into three categories.

The first one is of course the travelling mode, second is
transportation in Goa, which will include whether you want to go for self-drive or taxi.
Third option will provide you the information about different laws, safety measures, and geographical knowledge along with tips that will
make your trip more exciting and adventurous.

It also provides an option of choosing among the Makymytrip hotels and Makemytrip tour packages for Goa.
Choosing anyone these options will redirect you on Makemytrip booking page, where you will get plethora
of options to choose from. Select the hotel or the complete tour package and enjoy the
trip. Makemytrip coupons will also work when you will select any package or hotel.

Socialize with us

Now, you can stay up-to-date with all Makemytrip offers, Makemytrip discounts and new travel packages just by joining its social profiles.
This is pretty easy and simple. And if a single click on like
or follow can give you so much benefits then why not do
it. So, join it at Facebook and Twitter to
stay up-to-date with all the news updates by Makemytrip.

Posted by: saree silk online

June 3, 2016
8:01 AM

As receitas de suco detox para desinchar combinam frutas legumes, verduras e sementes.

Posted by: Candida

June 3, 2016
9:58 AM

Além disso, é importante não coar para preservar as fibras e não adoçar
para que a receita realmente te faça emagrecer.

Posted by: https://penzu.com/p/6b146421

June 19, 2016
9:51 PM

This will considerably seo company improve your website consistent.

There are leading companies in Sydney by looking at the top pages.

You must learn to use other keywords as The Lemon Plum, Italian Red
Wine Reviews, Kitchen Gadgets, etc. Meta Tags are the result of
search engine should be attached with your data so
that it becomes trusted seo company and authoritative.
Spamming or fooling people into going seo company to talk about
the linked page.

Posted by: isseo-tec

June 20, 2016
4:12 AM

I had been given Smart Balance Wheel http://www.fashionhoverboard.com as being a Xmas recent, and even fell into in love they’re just so pretty along with nice!

Posted by: Smart Balance Wheel